Not Tonight...I Have a Headache! (Book)

I've suffered from headaches for a good part of my life, so I decided to write a book about my wrestling match and experiences with headache pain, and I hope it will help others in their struggle. And, I have suffered from headache pain since I was eleven years old, after an accident at a picnic.

And, now 60 years young, it was a roller-coaster ride or the highest order...feeling good one day...and scraping the bottom of the barrel the next day! Everyone suffers from headaches in their own way, and my situation was a little different, as my problem with headaches all started at a picnic in the mountains, in a fall, and my evil father never took me to the doctor to get fixed, and I got worse as the years went by.

This article is an outline or summary of the book I'm writing on headaches, and I would like to share some of the things that happened to me over that long period of time in my life.

* After the accident at the picnic grounds, I would never be the same, as I suffered from a variety of headaches for the next 40 years! With the headaches, came the nosebleeds and the high blood pressure, and so bad was the blood pressure, that I almost didn't get into the Air Force when I was only 19 years old. Cluster headaches; nervous headaches I suffered and the most terrible and unforgiving...the migraine headache!

* For those of you who are not familiar with the migraine headache, I'l try to describe what they're like! Over the years, I have suffered from bleeding ulcers; an ear ache; a toothache; and I have passed a kidney stone. All painful for sure! But, the migraine is different, because the pain is connected to the beat of the heart...the faster the heart rate...the more the throbbing pain! The lowering of the heart-rate...the less pain and so forth. I don't know if there is anyone that can stay on their feet with the pain of a migraine...and move around and suffer from it!*

* Because of the headaches, I was never a good student, and I struggled for every grade I! got. I was not dumb...I just had a headache problem at a young age. But, despite everything, I went on to graduate from high school and finished two years of college

* I didn't start getting migraine headaches until my last year in the Air Force, when I was about 23 years old. And, a migraine is called an attack...because that's what it is...an attack! In my case, I could get a migraine that could last anywhere from 8 hours for the mild variety...the the vicious which could last for 16 to 20 hours and is pure HELL! The best remedy for the migraine attach, is to lie perfectly still, to keep the heart rate down! The migraine sufferer's worst nightmare is to get up to go to the bathroom or to answer the telephone! If this happens, the throbbing pain is very difficult to get rid of!

* There were times, when I would get an attack, and the pain would always move over to the left side of the head in the temple area, and pound away into the early morning hours! The left eye would be drained of all water, and remain shut! It would take hours to get the eye re-opened. And, it would take a least 2-3 days to recover from a migraine attack!

* It was my last year in the Air Force (24 years old), when I started getting the attacks, and over the next decade, I was in no-mans land, as I struggled to hold a job and to survive! I worked for an entire decade as a temporary employee; I had no vehicle for over seven years; I was hospitalized twice with bleeding ulcers because of so much medication in-take; contracted TB and other illnesses.

*The search for a cure was never-ending for me, as I got worse, and at my worst, I was down to 118 pounds and frail, and my skin a a yellow tint to it, like I had some kind of contagious disease. My eyes were always blood-shot from the pain behind the eyes, and I know there were some people who thought I was on the drunk all the time!

* The VA allowed the veteran eight years for the G.I. Education Bill, but I was not able to complete my education because ! of the h eadaches. I appealed their decision and lost, and so what education I have, I had to pay for it myself.

* In the 1970's, there were few chiropractors around, and I was desperate, that I would do anything to get better! So, I had to try it! Chiropractic made sense to me, because my problem stemmed from the neck and upper spine injury!

* The visits and treatments were slow-going, and I kept a journal, as to how I was coming along. Year after year, I went to a chiropractor, and it took discipline and determination on my part. But, as I maintained the journal, it kept telling me that I was getting better and better. Over five years, I was on the table in the doctor's office 125+ times, and when all the dust settled, I went from a paltry 118 pound weakling...to over 180 pounds...and I felt like the six million dollar man!

* The change for my was incredible, and some people didn't even recognize me! I had color back in my skin; I looked healthy; I worked out pumping aluminum...and it all took a very long time but it was worth it.

* All in all, a decade went by through all this, and in the year 2006, I'm 60 years young, but I feel like I'm 50 years old, because I feel like I lost a decade in there someplace. What will always be amazing to me, is how I could create anything during this time in my life. Creativity...me? After this dreadful time in my life...why aren't I brain-dead? (you ARE brain dead, Jer!)

As a woodcarver in the art and craft world, where I created over 200 original pieces and participated in over 40 shows where I sold my work; building an award-winning website...and, now the challenge of writing articles, in which I hope people read...and if so, I am always appreciative and thankful!

My Authors Den; Here, you can get additional information on where my articles have been published; the joke of the week; My Two Cents and the latest information on my work, etc. http://www.authorsden.com/humordoctormd - Website name: humordoctormd - Over 200 colorful! ; pages; over 500 graphics http://humordoctormd.homestead.com email; humordoctormd@aol.com - humordoctor@aol.com

Copyright; Jerry L. Aragon (The Humor Doctor); 2006

 

Welcome to Glued Ideas Subtle For Blogger

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! Take a second to peak around and check out some of my previous posts. Of course, I would love to find out what you think as well, so make sure to comment. See you around!

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum

Blog Archive